Friday, December 10, 2004

Almost a Ribby Cardi!

All the pieces are finished! The front and back pieces have already been blocked and the sleeves are drying up nicely on the blocking board. I'm hoping to have this cardi seamed and zippered this weekend so that I can wear it next week!

As for blocking, I normally pin the dry pieces and then spray them down with cold water. This is how I blocked the front and back pieces. Lovely. But I know others wash their pieces first, remove the excess water with a towel and then pin down the damp pieces to size. Ok, so I tried this with the sleeve pieces -- hmm, a bit cumbersome. The fully wet sleeves were difficult to handle and when I pinned them down to the board the ribbing looked a little wobbly. As the sleeves dried, they seemed to even themselves out into a more even ribbed fabric, but I was a little worried there.

Anybody have any other "best practices" for blocking? I'm using Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed, but for everybody using the Highland Wool it would probably be useful to share your blocking success stories!

Felicia
http://sweetgeorgia.planetfishdesign.com

3 Comments:

Blogger LeAnne said...

I pin each piece onto my ironing board and soak a clean dishcloth with cold water, wring it out well, then place it over the piece (or part of a piece) that I am blocking. I basically steam it without steaming it to death. Hope that helps!

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Felicia from sweetgeorgia said...

Thanks Leanne! Yes, steam blocking is good for some yarns I think... but I remember being told not to steam block ribbing.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Felicia,
It sounds like we block the same way - the pin and spray bottle method. I often lightly steam the pieces after I spray them - but I may not this time. I've never blocked anything that was partly ribbed, part not-ribbed, so I'm hoping it works out okay! The photo on your website of the fronts blocking helped me visualize it, by the way - so thanks! :)

8:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home