Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Sizing Question

I finished the back today and I started on the left front and it seems really small. I working on the 38/39 size - the back is only measuring 15" across. I put it up against a cardi I have that I like (it's a little bit baggy) and that measures around 21". There's no stretch on that though. Even if I pull the ribby cardi back out - it's still seems small. How small is it supposed to be? I'm thinking I've got to rip out and start over on a bigger size (yarn isn't an issue - I think I overbought. Sorry Haze - wrong colors!).

I've read that a few people said they would've made it bigger (and some said they would've made it smaller). I'm using the highland wool - am I worried over nothing? Any and all comments would help. Thank you!

Cara

5 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

Hi Cara, I'm in the exact same place you are. Size 38/39, finished back, started left front. Your post freaked me out a little, so I went to measure. At the underarm point, without any stretching at all, the back measures about 17.5". This is before blocking. That piece took under 3 skeins, maybe 2.75 skeins?, which kind of freaked me out because I have 8 skeins of the MC and I thought it would take closer to 4 skeins for the back. Anyway, I think you should check your gauge again. If it's on, block your piece and see if it comes out to the correct dimensions. Keep us posted!

11:49 PM

 
Blogger Cara said...

My took under three skeins as well! I was thinking about that too! I will measure again, but I'm seriously thinking I need to rip out and start over at a bigger size. I'm not a tight-fitting kind of gal. I'm sure it might look nice, but in all honesty, I'd never wear it. Thanks for the comment. I'll let you know how I end up.

4:18 AM

 
Blogger Cara said...

Well - I checked my gague and I'm getting about 21 stitches for the four inches. I'm ripping it all out today and starting over - I think I might go two sizes bigger. I don't want it too tight and I'm nervous now. Thanks.

6:55 AM

 
Blogger goodkarma said...

Cara, just remember next time you measure it that ribbing is "skinnier" than st. stitch, so you would want to stretch it a little when measuring, right?

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Tatjana said...

I'm making the largest size and was pretty worried about fit too! Especially the front pieces look *tiny* when knitting them up!!

I blocked the back today, and it looks perfectly reasonable now - *way* larger than before! I'll post pics soon :-)

2:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home