Friday, January 21, 2005

Picking up stitches help!

I'm all set to start picking up stitches for my front bands but have totally confused myself. First question - does it really matter how many sts I pick up? I'm making the middle size so it says to pick up 97 sts but after doing some rough math, if I pick up a sts for every row, that will be 126 sts. If I pick up every other row , will the bands pucker? Also, does it matter if I pick up from the bottom or the top? Meaning, If I start picking up sts from the top down on one side, do I need to do the same for the other side?

2 Comments:

Blogger Leisel said...

Stitches are generally picked up along the side of stockinette stitch at a rate of 3 stitches picked up per 4 rows of stockinette. At that rate your 126 rows would yield 94.5 stitches. I'm not quite sure how to tell you to work in those extra couple of stitches. If you try to pick up one stitch per row, you'll end up with too much volume, and it'll look ruffly. If you pick up one every other row, there won't be enough, and it'll pull.

I THINK you'll want to pick up the stitches going from bottom to top on the right panel, and top to bottom on the left panel, because then the back of the picking up is not as nice looking, and you'll want it to the inside of the sweater. In other words, pick up with the front of the piece facing towards you.

4:50 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah! Thank you, that makes total sense :)

5:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home