Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sad About My Ribby

I finished my ribby and it is so cute - I did it in dusty rose and cocoa. The body fits fine, but the arms and shoulders are soooo tight, it looks terrible. I'm thinking of taking off the sleeves and frogging them, then knitting them wider and putting them back in. I don't know if that would work, but I'm thinking as long as I bind off the same number of stitches as I did in the armhole, and I make the raglan as long as the raglans for the front and back it should work. The sleeve would be wider at the shoulder, which might not look good, I'm not sure. Has anyone else done this? My other alternative is to give it away, :-(

Linda

3 Comments:

Anonymous Leisel said...

On my next Ribby, I'm going to add another rib or two. I'm broad shouldered, and while it feels fine on, it feels tight to put it on.

Or, maybe I'll just rework the decreases on the raglan area to leave another rib in the center when I get to the top.

Something, though... I want a little more ease up there.

11:43 PM

 
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

Hi Linda! Sorry to hear your sweater was too tight - what size of the pattern were you making?

Because of the ribbing, this sweater fits snugger than just a flat one - your solution is right on!

If you add a whole pattern repeat of the ribbing (K2, P2) that would add a little over 3/4 of an inch (in 4.75 sts per inch / stretched).

Then you just would leave those stitches alone and work your sleeve cap decreases as usual - this will add width to the cap where you need it! (You will then have those extra sts to pick up when you do the neck too...)

I'll add this stuff to the Hints on my Ribby FAQ page, too.

Hope this helps!
Bonne Marie

8:24 AM

 
Anonymous Linda said...

Thank you Bonne Marie, I'm going to try it. I just happen to have wide shoulders and fat arms! I should have taken that into consideration when knitting.

5:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home