Thursday, December 08, 2005

Gauge Issues

Hi everyone: I know I'm late to the party, but better late than never, right?
This will be my first adult sweater, and I love the pattern. I've browsed the archives and found a lot of helpful information.

I have a question that I'm hoping y'all can help me out with: I'm using Cascade 220, and I've swatched on two size needles and can't get gauge, even after blocking. On size 7s, I end up with 5 st/inch, and on my 8s, I get 4 st/inch. I'm not sure exactly what to do. To complicate things, I'm a little smaller than the smallest size--more of a 32/33 than the 34/35. Should I go with the smaller needles and hope that the smallest size fits, use the 8s and do the math to make pattern changes, or redo a swatch on the 7s and block it a little more aggressively to see if I can get gauge? Or is there another solution that I'm just missing?

I'm planning to do the all ribbed version, and I'm hoping for a snug fit, but not so tight that I can't fit a top on underneath. Any suggestions?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny K said...

Craziness! I'm not sure what to do about the gauge, although I have noticed most people's sweaters ended up smaller than expected. It took me a while to realize that the sizes given are finished sweater sizes, not body sizes.

If all else fails, start with something quick - knit up the beginning of a sleeve. If it seems to fit, keep going. It's less painful to rip up a little thing than the whole thing. That's my totally amateurish advice!

5:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the type of needle that you use will effect the gauge. I believe that on bamboo or wood needles your gauge may be just a tad tighter than it would be on metal needles.

11:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home