Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Please interpret this (aka more possible sizing/yardage angst)

When I bought the yarn for this sweater, I swear the website said get 1/3 the total yardage for sleeves and trim if desired. For my sweater (a 10 skein sweater), 10/3=3.33. Rounding up, I bought 4 skeins of the constrasting color. 2/3 the total yardage was 6.66, so I rounded up and bought 7 skeins. That's 11 skeins total for a 10 skein sweater, which makes sense with the leftover yarn you'll have off the last skein of each color.

Now I see on the ChicKnits website that it says to buy 1/3 the total yardage plus one skein!!!!! Please tell me she means to round up, not to add 1 then round up (in my case that would mean 3.33+1=4.33, which I'll have to round to 5 for a total of 12 skeins). Then I won't have enough yarn.

Just checked: This wasn't my imagination. The .pdf pattern I downloaded in December also says 1/3 with no mention of "plus one."

Did they update the yardage requirements? I am screwed? (and this is assuming I can make the sizes I had planned, not one size bigger!)

Why would a 10 skein sweater take 12 skeins? What am I missing here?

Thanks, all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie Collette said...

they must have updated the amount needed for the arms. i know many people on this KAL lengthened the sleeves and needed more yarn but even those who didn't may have needed just a little more to finish up - hence the reason many ended up with stripes of the body color on the sleeves (which actually looks really cute).

sorry for rambling - glad she updated the amount but i hope yours works out with the "rounding up". it might if you don't need to lengthen the sleeves at all.

-katie

7:20 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

hi there :) you might still be okay with the number of skeins you have...I did lengthen my sleeves by quite a bit, but even without the striping that I built in, I still would have had enough yarn (just barely) to finish off the sleeves...
of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary)

7:37 AM

 
Blogger Donna (Random Knits) said...

I think it depends on what size you're making too. I always buy more than I need, just in case, and in the case of Ribby, I'm glad I did. I made the 40/41 size, which needed 12 balls, 4 of the darker, 8 of the lighter. I got 5 and 9. I used 4 and a half for the sleeves and the neckband. I used up the 4th ball of yarn before the end of the first sleeve, but I did lengthen the sleeves by an inch.

12:28 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I found that there was JUST enough for the 2 sleeves + 3 stripes on the collar. I'd suggest to get 1 extra ball for the sleeve color only.

3:57 PM

 
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

Hi All! Although most people should be OK with the original amounts the pattern called for, I decided to amend the yardage amounts for the contrast color, to be on the safe side.

I noticed on the blog here some folks were running right up against it and ending up with inches of the contrast color left or worse and since it is a good rule of thumb to get that extra skein, I went ahead and wrote it into the hard copy instructions.

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Reb said...

Thanks, everyone. Well, I decided tonight I am going to go with Nutmeg Heather sleeves because, just doing a swatch, it dawned on me that I don't want a rust colored sweater. Rust and brown will be better than that! Since I need to buy Nutmeg Heather, I can just get an extra skein. As for the other sweaters for which I already bought yarn, I guess I'll ask Elann to email me when they get more stock and hope for those colors. If they don't have it before I get to those sweaters, I'm sure I can find it online somewhere. I'll get extra for dyelot differences. I've also learned it's good to benefit from the experience of others and buy only when you're going to start the project! :)

3:08 AM

 
Blogger Reb said...

Oh yeah, going with contrasting color for sleeves, I'll have enough of the main color to make the next size. That's a good thing. :)

3:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home