Saturday, December 25, 2004

Ready to cast on...

I swatched today, and luckily, I'm getting gauge with the recommended needle size... most surprisingly, I'm getting row gauge, too. I'm not used to that happening.

Now I'm ready to cast on, and being the prefectionist I am, I'm feeling all hung up about what cast-on method to use. Is there a best one to use for ribbing? Is there a place online that talks about the pros and cons of different cast-on methods (I 'm hoping so... I don't want to have to wait to find a book about it before I can cast on)? I usually (HA! I'm a rather new knitter... usually doesn't mean too much yet)like the cable cast-on, as it looks nice and is nice and stretchy, too... but I heard someone mention tubular cast-on, and was wondering if there was a reason that would be better. The tutorials seem clear as mud to me (I think I'd have to follow the instructions before they really made sense to me), but it seems as if with the tubular cast-on, your first little bit looks 1x1 ribbed. I'm not sure how I'd like the look of that with the ribbing that already exists in the pattern. And someone else said they used the long-tail cast-on, which is one I haven't tried yet (told you I'm a new knitter).

Any help would be appreciated. I hate feeling so indecisive, especially when I really just want to START working on this.

2 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

This is a really good question. Most patterns I've used haven't specified what type of cast on to use, and I usually just use long-tail cast on. That's what I used for the back piece (all I've started so far). Would it be bad if I cast on differently for the front pieces? Would things still match up when I seam it all together?

Great question. I just got Nancy Wiseman's The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques for Christmas, so I expect to be a complete finishing expert by January 1st (not! haha!).

12:34 AM

 
Blogger superstahr said...

Hello,

I used the tubular cast on, which I love. It gives you a nice elastic edge and it also looks very polished. You can see pictures here http://ribbycardikal.blogspot.com/2004/12/i-started-mine.html#comments.

-Stacey
www.staceysstash.blogspot.com

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home