Wednesday, January 05, 2005

I had to alter the pattern

Wow... that makes me feel like such a grown-up knitter :)

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to do the long-tail cast-on with a purled row to give me the edge I liked.

I realized as I started knitting the pattern that the first row listed is intended to be a wrong-side row. Oops! That's not going to work with the wrong side already established by the cast-on and purl row. So, I added a row 0... just a reverse of the listed row 1. Not a big deal, but I thought the information might be useful to anyone who planned on using the same cast-on method I am.

- Leisel

4 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

I think the pattern asks you to do exactly what you were planning to do already! If you start with a WS row, you shouldn't have to start with another purl row, right?

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Leisel said...

When I was swatching the other day, I didn't realize that the pattern started with a wrong-side row, and if I had, I may never have tried what I ended up with wanting to do with the edge, but...

I didn't like how it looked with the ribbing starting on the first row after the cast-on. When I added the purl row, it created a nice edge that gives the bottom edge of the fabric a completed look. I want to keep that purl row because it does make it look so much nicer, even if I did discover it by accident.

1:55 PM

 
Blogger goodkarma said...

Ah, you were doing a purl row *before* starting the ribbing. For some reason, I was visualizing something different.

The way I see it, you should do whatever you think looks best, as long as you do the same thing for the front pieces and the back piece so it all matches, right? I can't wait to see your finished cardi. You're putting a lot of thought into making it your own, so it will look fantastic!

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Leisel said...

Yes, the purl row is before the ribbing. If you want to see what it looks like, take a look at this picture. It's the swatch on the bottom.

And I'll definitely be doing the same thing for the fronts (already have, actually), as well as the sleeves. The row 0 for the fronts was more of a challenge to figure out than that for the back. I don't think it will be difficult for the sleeves, though.

8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home