Thursday, September 22, 2005

Starting my Ribby

Hi everyone, I'm so excited to start my ribby! I bought some yarn a while ago that I want to use for it-- it's Plymouth Encore Colorspun DK in Butterscotch Tweed. (I want to get some plain brown for the sleeves, but I can start on the body while I wait.) I get a tiny bit smaller than gauge using #6 needles, but I'm smaller than the small size anyway, so I think it'll be ok.

My first question is about casting on. I'm a relatively new knitter (with one super-easy chunky-yarn knit-in-the-round sweater under my belt) but the only cast-on I'm comfortable with is the double/long-tail one, which doesn't seem conducive to ribbing. My single/e-wrap cast on has never yet been even. What do you think is the best way to cast on for the ribby? (Should I try the "cable cast-on" pictured here: http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit1.htm ?)

I'm also planning to do the fronts and back in one piece, because I hate seaming and I worry that my pieces won't be even, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to mess with dpns to do the sleeves in the round.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leisel said...

I used the long-tail cast-on for mine. I swatched a few different ones (including the cable cast-on), and the long-tail one was the one I liked best. Here's the post with the picture of my swatches:

http://ribbycardikal.blogspot.com/2005/01/long-tail-cast-on-it-is.html

To get the look you see in the swatch, though, I did one purl row immediately following the cast-on, and then (because the pattern starts on a wrong-side row, and we've just done a wrong-side row) I did a row that's the exact reverse of the Row 1 listed in the pattern.

For instance, if my row 1 was:

(p2, [k2, p2] 2 times; [k3, p1] 3 times),

I would do:

([k1, p3] 3 times; [k2, p2] 2 times, k2).

Does that make sense?

- Leisel
http://sagebrush.typepad.com/knotagain

10:37 PM

 
Blogger Josephine said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Josephine said...

Amy:

I found the cable cast-on to work well for me. Knittinghelp.com shows you how to do it in a short video that you can view from http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/
basic_techniques/index.php.

I'm just finishing up my first Ribby according to the pattern. I wasn't brave enough to knit the body in one piece -- maybe next time! Good luck.

-Josephine-

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

I used the long tail cast on too.. and I like how it turned out..

I did my sleeves in the round because the seam ended up making the inside of my elbow really itchy.. but I didn't use DPNs to do it.. I used the Magic Loop method.. Which is awesome.. if you have the means to do it.

8:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home