Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Picking up the stitches...

I have a question or two, I will try to be as clear as possible:
Here is where I am:
I am at the place where you pick up stitches for the zipper area. The amount of stitches the pattern says to pick up is about 30 less than what makes up the length of the sweater. So, to compensate for this, I skipped a stitch every third stitch or so, thus picking up the number of stitches that the pattern specified.

It is obvious which stitches I skipped, doesn't look too hot. So, I guess my question is, does it matter how many stitches you pick up? Shouldn't it be even? How do you determine which stitches get picked up?

And, lastly, when you go to bind off knit-wise, are you doing this while facing the wrong side?

I hope someone can help me with this, it's late and I hope I am making sense.
G' night.
Melissa

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I may have found the answer -- pick up 3 stitches for 4 rows of stockinette. I basically did that, and it does lie flat, but some of the adjacent ribbed stitches are slanted... I'll post a picture tomorrow.

12:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Melissa's idea sounds nice. Also, the button band should be as long as you want the zipper to be so you can determine the lenght - just be consistant. As for the binding off - do as the pattern says and it comes out nice and flat. GOOD LUCK!

7:39 AM

 
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

The number of buttonband stitches is always weird science because everybody knits to a slightly different final row count.

For this gauge, I like to pick up 5 stitches for every 6 rows - which gives a band which fits the row count and isn't too floppy.

Your personal preference is the bottom line in this area - if you think you need a few more stitches, go for it :)

11:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home